This blog is serving the sole purpose as my space to reflect on my learning experiences in and outside the classroom. I originally created this blog for the sole purpose of my LLED teacher because we were told we needed a space to submit our thoughts and homework. However now that I have had more time to reflect I have decided to make this blog as a space to reflect upon my learning experiences both inside and outside the classroom.
This semester, I am placed in a Kindergarten classroom at Chase Street Elemantary. I am very excited about this because if I could teach any grade it would be Kindergarten. Going from 3rd grade to K is a big change but so far I LOVE IT! Today was my first day being in the classroom. They children were so sweet and the mentor teacher is AWESOME! She is older but really knows her stuff! This is such a REFRESHING (that’s an understatement) from last semester! God truly had a plan and blessed me with my placement.
Today was exhausting to say the least. Wow those little ones have SO much energy. I felt really bad because after lunch my blood sugar dropped or something and I couldn’t keep my eyes open. You know when your eyes become so heavy that they just fall and there is practically nothing you can do about it? Well that happened to me. It only lasts about 20 minutes but ahhhhhhh! I felt SO BAD. The students were on the floor while my teacher Ms. Young read a story and I felt that exhaustion hit. I tried to hide it by putting my head closer to the table and letting my hair hang down but oh myy gosshhh I just couldn’t open my eyes for a long period of time. I tried standing up, drinking water, holding my eyes open but my eyelids felt like lead. Then a little girl said “Miss Hockenberry, you tired?” Ahhhhh I was caught! I feel so bad because I hope my teacher doesn’t think that I am lazy or whatever. I just need to build/re-build my stamina up for the classroom. Tomorrow is a new day and I am excited for it! I am headed to bed because clearly I need some much needed sleep!
Hi Claire.
ReplyDeleteI love that you stated and then reformulated the purpose for this blog. One thing I love about the blogs is that it is *your* space to do with as you wish (well, I do have some suggestions, but I love it when students post other things or photos or videos or idle thoughts). Your description of your day made me smile. I remember working in K classrooms and the incredible physical adjustment it was to sustaining that energy for the whole day. I had quite a few nodding off days (especially during story time!) We often forget that teachers are human and have highs and lows. I know the kids are enjoying you already.
Beth
You'll get back to it!! You always have so much energy for 8:00 a.m. classes, surely you'll build yourself back up for 7:00 elementary classes. :D You're going to make such a fabulous teacher!! :D
ReplyDelete